Wow, can you believe that the first quarter of 8th grade is almost over...how in the stars did it pass so quickly. Please remember that plans are subject to change. Here is a look at the week. Project is due this Thursday. (Rubric is posted on my website. This may be a diorama, poster (on poster board or copy paper), or if students prefer an essay, they should see me for a topic.
Monday: Discussion and notes on Biomes
Tuesday: Review on Classification, Adaptations, and Biodiversity
Wednesday: Classification Unit Assessment and begin Penguins of Madagascar
Thursday: Begin fossils
**Cumulative Assessment is planned for either Tuesday (10/3) or Wednesday (10/4) of next week. Review HW on Naiku will be assigned this week at some point and due next Tuesday (10/3)**
Monday: Finalize fossil record
Tuesday: Review for Cumulative Assessment
Wednesday: Cumulative Assessment
Thursday: Go over assessment
Friday: Finalize Quarter
0807.5.5 Compare fossils found in sedimentary rock to determine their relative age.
0807.5.2 Analyze structural, behavioral, and physiological adaptations to predict which populations are likely to survive in a particular environment.
0807.5.3 Analyze data on levels of variation within a population to make predictions about survival under particular environmental conditions.
-->Explain why variation within a population can enhance the chances for group survival.
0807.5.4 Identify several reasons for the importance of maintaining the earth's biodiversity.
--> Identify the major factors responsible for reducing the amount of global biodiversity.
1. Students Describe and give examples illustrating the difference between relative and absolute age.
2. Determine the relative age of fossils found in sedimentary rock layers.
3. Associate physical and behavioral adaptations of plants and animals that enhance their survival for each of Earth's major biomes.
4.Make inferences about the habitat of an organism from information about structural, behavioral, and physiological adaptations.
5. Explain why maintaining biodiversity is important, and identify major factors responsible for reducing biodiversity.
6. Describe the three types of biodiversity: ecosystem, species, and genetic. Describe how each contributes to species survival.